Top Tips for Making Internet Based Calls
Internet-based calls are becoming popular so it’s good to know some etiquette and have good form before you make the call.
Being considerate of your guests will bring a more pleasant experience for everyone.
Before the Call
- Make sure the date and time are in your calendar.
- Plan ahead and choose a place for the call that’s comfortable but quiet.
- Turn off things that make noise, like your phone or a nearby fan.
- Silence the notifications on your computer.
- If you are new to the calling software, play with the settings to become more familiar.
- Test your mic and speakers. See the next section for your best options.
- Adjust your camera so it’s at an even angle to your eyes.
During the Call
- Use a headset with earphones and a microphone that is close, (but not too close) to your mouth.
- The headset that came with your smartphone does a pretty nice job.
- Try and stay mindful of the time.
- Don’t move around much. It’s distracting and can take away from the conversation.
- Nodding positively to a comment will show agreement without a need to speak.
Why is This Important?
You and your other callers will have a more positive experience by following these simple guidelines.